Links on Basement Remodeling, Moisture, Molds, and Radon
Radon in Air or Water
- Free Radon Test Kits with RadonSeal
- Unbeatable prices for the most popular, EPA-approved radon test kits! And, with a $10 rebate from RadonSeal, you can even get one for free!
- The Radon Information Center
- Extensive information on radon and the actual radon test results in various regions. Air Chek radon test kits for water and air.
Official Reports on Radon
- Residential Radon and Lung Cancer Case-Control Study
- The latest and largest-ever epidemiological study on the risks of residential radon lead by the University of Iowa. At the EPA "action level" (4 pCi/L), the lung cancer risk to women increases by 50%. (May, 2000)
- Risk Assessment of Radon in Water
- Summary of the "Risk Assessment of Radon in Drinking Water" report with an update on the health risks of indoor radon. The National Academy of Sciences (1999).
- Health Effects of Exposure to Indoor Radon (BEIR VI)
- Executive Summary of the Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiation VI Report. National Research Council (1999).
- Assessment of Risks from Radon in Homes
- Updated chart of the lifetime risk of lung cancer death per person from radon exposure in homes (from EPA's updated assessment)
- EPA Guides on Radon
- A Citizen's Guide to Radon (1992). Home Buyer's and Seller's Guide to Radon (1993). A Physician's Guide to Radon (1993). Consumer's Guide to Radon Reduction (1992). Radon Mitigation Standards (1994). Radon Resistant New Construction.
Informative Sites on Radon and Radiation
- IEM Radon Information
- A comprehensive report on radon and its progeny, measurements, and health risks from Integrated Environmental Management.
- Cancer Survivors against Radon
- Real-life stories from victims of radon-induced lung cancer. Most had no idea that radon causes cancer.
- How Radon Causes Lung Cancer
- "It's Perfectly Safe, But Don't Breathe Too Deeply" report on lung cancer risks from the Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility.
- Radiation Has Caused Most Cancers and Heart Disease
- Dr. John Gofman's studies show that radiation from medical procedures has played a role in causing over 50% of cancer deaths and coronary heart disease in the US during the twentieth century. (1999)
- Low-Level Ionizing Radiation
- A site dedicated to providing information about the health costs of man-made low-level ionizing radiation.
- Nuclear Information & Resource Service
- An information center for issues on nuclear power, radioactive waste, radiation, and sustainable energy.
- Nuclear Testing and the Downwinders
- Information from the website of the Utah State Historical Society.
- Uranium: The Deadliest Metal
- The deadly legacy of nuclear bomb testing, uranium mining, and radon from the Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility.
Water Seepage and Moisture
- Moisture in basements: causes and solutions
- Illustrated guides from the University of Minnesota on the common problems and water drainage systems. Relative humidity above 50% may cause structural and health problems; molds and mildew thrive in relative humidity above 60% to 70%. Dehumidifiers can damage the basement.
Indoor Air Quality, Molds and Mildew
- Environmental Hazards in the Home
- EPA pamphlet covers radon, asbestos, lead, formaldehyde, and other indoor pollutants.
- Make your home a healthy place
- Environmental News Network articles on indoor air quality.
- Ambient Environment: Biogenic Particles
- Viruses, bacteria, and fungi spread around an office via the mechanical ventilation system. Dust mites, insects, animal dander, and pollens. (Cornell University Ergonomics Web)
- Learn about all kinds of concrete techniques and uses as well as many How to's for applying concrete finishes.
- Do you live close to a nuclear waste route?
- State maps of the most likely highway or rail routes for high-level radioactive waste to the Yucca Mountain repository in Nevada.
- Find the Polluters in Your ZIP Area
- Database of annual pollution releases into the environment as filed by the companies. From ScoreCard.